Cooking for Campers
The Thrill of the Grill!
Eurocamp Independent has teamed up with UK Living Chef Nigel Smith to showcase the very best of what our most popular destinations have to offer when it comes to 'cuisine on the coals'.
Nigel's recipes have been themed around some of our best-loved destinations, such as Brittany - famed for its seafood; Normandy & Picardy - renowned for poultry. If there's one thing, Nigel advises, it's not to be "boring on the barbie" by serving up endless rounds of burgers and sausages.
Nigel says "Barbecuing gives you the chance to really experiment with true local produce whether at home or abroad. There's nothing that quite reflects the true camping experience than grilling native foods while cooking in the great outdoors.
"The key to a good barbecue is discovering a sense of adventure and putting the sizzle into cooking. It's just as easy, yet much more rewarding to rustle up a simple fuss-free meal or create a feast for family and friends using local foods than it is to pay a visit to the supermarket freezers."
Nigel Smith's Eurocamp Independent inspired recipes
Brittany's Barbecue Lobster & Chicory with a Cider & Shallot Vinaigrette
1 whole lobster, 1 bulb of chicory, 1 shallot finely chopped, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon finely chopped taragon, 1 clove of finely chopped garlic, 2 dessert spoons of caster sugar, 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, juice of half an orange, seasoning.
1. When the barbecue is nice and hot with no flames and just starting to settle down, take one of Brittany's best ingredients, lobster (washed and prepared for cooking). Split in half and drizzle with olive oil. Place onto barbecue, shell side down and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Take chicory and cut into 6 pieces. Place into a bowl and add finely chopped tarragon before seasoning with salt and pepper and a splash of olive oil. Place onto barbecue to chargrill golden brown (approx 5 - 7 minutes).
3. To make the dressing, place cider vinegar, finely chopped shallot, sugar & chopped tarragon stalks into a bowl and add remaining olive oil whisking all the time. Taste and season with salt & pepper, add orange juice and leave to one side.
4. Turn lobster over and cook for a further 2 minutes, turn lobster back and spoon over the dressing. Leave for 2 minutes then serve with roasted chicory.
Barbecued French Duck Breast with Brandy Prunes
Ingredients: 2 French duck breasts, 4 large dessertspoons of prunes, cinnamon stick, 1 orange cut in half, 1 garlic clove crushed, 1 dessertspoon of lemon thyme, 2 large dessertspoons of French brandy, 2 large tablespoons of French salted butter.
1. Place the prunes into a bowl with all the ingredients except the duck. Leave to marinate for 24 hours.
2. Score the duck fat evenly, rub with salt and place onto the barbecue skin side down. Place the prune marinade into 2 sheets of foil and secure tightly forming a parcel. Place on the barbecue for 20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes.
3. Turn the duck over once skin is crispy. Remove the prunes and place into a serving dish, slice the duck breast, place on top of the barbecue prunes and serve.
Normandy's Barbecued Apples with Calvados Toffee
Ingredients: 4 French apples, 225g caster sugar, 2 large tablespoons of French unsalted butter, 4 large tablespoons of Calvados, juice of half a lemon, 4 leaves of French basil.
1. Take 2 sheets of tin foil (10cm x 10cm). Remove the core from each apples in one piece.
2. Mix together in a bowl the sugar, butter, lemon juice and chopped basil. Place into the centre of the apples replacing the core. Spoon over the Calvados and wrap the apples tight in the foil leaving no holes.
3. Place on the barbecue for 15 minutes turning all the time. The sugar and butter will turn into caramel and infuse through the apple
Nigel's suggestion: serve with whipped calvados cream which is simply whipped cream, icing sugar and calvados.
More recipes coming soon!
We'll be updating this page with more camper-friendly recipes shortly, but if you have any family favourites you wish to share, please write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find your pitch
trailer tent, caravan or motorhome? We make it easy!
Book online or call
0844 406 0100
Privacy & Cookies